As a passionate and enthusiastic lover of all things electronic, mechanical and hackable; I have always shown deep interest in the way things work. I’m a software developer focusing on cloud tech, developer tools and the web.
- Senior Engineer -> Senior Product Engineer at Odin (London, Nov 2021 - Present)
- Skills: Full stack development, critical infrastructure, devops processes, hiring, leadership, user research and product work
- As the first senior engineering hire, I built out the platform from scratch, ready to scale for the next decade. This involved Golang and Next.js for the application itself, as well as Terraform, Fly.io, Vercel, AWS, Cloudflare, Google Cloud and many more tools to get us from zero to one with a high quality tested codebase.
- Over the course of the last year, I worked closely with the founders to build out a world class team which will take the company from one to infinity.
- Transitioned to a product focused role where I sit between engineering, design and the future moonshots on the community & social side of the business.
- Senior Software Engineer at Metomic (London/Remote, Apr 2021 - Nov 2021)
- Skills: TypeScript, React.js, AWS, Terraform, GitHub CI/CD
- As one of the first members of the engineering team, I helped put in place practices for code quality, documentation and continuous integration.
- Software Engineer at Ytterate (Remote, Nov 2019 - Aug 2020)
- Skills: TypeScript, React.js, Redux, Traefik, Docker
- I joined to help speed up development of a client's React project that was very visualisation-heavy using AirBnB's visx library.
- This evolved to platform infra (Docker, Traefik) to support future clients.
- Go Engineer at Utility Warehouse (London, Jun 2018 - Nov 2019)
- Skills: Golang, CockroachDB, Kubernetes, Graylog, Kafka, NATS, Docker
- I helped migrate legacy services to a new CQRS event sourcing system using microservices and CockroachDB running on Kubernetes.
- Later, I moved to support a new team building an internal call centre tool.
- Software Engineer (Uni Placement) at Spotlight Data (Nottingham, 2016-2017)
- Skills: Golang, Docker, Kubernetes, Python, spaCy, Pachyderm
- University placement as Python programmer to build data extraction tools
- Moved to building critical infrastructure and learnt Golang to build a large data analysis pipeline to concurrently analyse millions of documents.
A few side projects I've worked on are: Storyden: a forum software for the modern age built with Go and React. Pico: a git-driven task runner used for managing containers using infrastructure-as-code. Wisplight: a privacy-friendly browser history personal search engine. I've also co-founded (and failed) a couple of startups.
Outside of engineering work I've worked as a freelance brand designer for indie businesses and startups, as well as videographer for live events. My free time is usually filled with photography, videography, travelling and music.
- Computer Science BSc at Nottingham Trent (2014-2018)